The design guidelines and related zoning amendments are intended to ensure that new residential structures and additions to existing residential structures are compatible with the surrounding neighborhood. The design guidelines include, but are not limited to, provisions reducing the appearance of mass and bulk; reducing paved surfaces; reducing the impacts of building height, mezzanines, and roof decks; encouraging high quality design; and reducing the impacts of garages on the street frontage. The zoning amendments include, but are not limited to, establishment of Floor Area Ratio standards, increased setback requirements, and reducing the height above existing grade of semi-subterranean areas.
Here is your chance to update the Residential Design Guidelines.
- DATE: January 10, 2022
- TIME: 6:30 p.m.
- LOCATION: Virtual Zoom Meeting
To review the current Guidelines: City of Redondo Beach – Residential Design Guidelines (draft)
The goal for the update is to provide straight-forward criteria that aim to reflect existing character of neighborhoods so new buildings are compatible with established development. The City wants to:
- Encourage housing that fits well
- Capture opportunities for new/updated housing in single-family and multi-family neighborhoods
- Adopt standards for the R-1A zone, aka “Tall and Skinny” homes
- Maintain overall community character
The updated guidelines would:
- Guide design of buildings through illustrations, diagrams, and photo samples
- Provide clear direction to applicants and staff
- Provide standards that are verifiable and measurable
The Virtual Community Workshop will include:
- A presentation on developing updated guidelines
- Question and answer session
- Kick-off of an online Community Survey to gather input on design elements which are most important to our residents
If you are interested in participating, registration is required. Click on the Zoom meeting registration link below and complete your information:
Or send an email to PlanningRedondo@redondo.org requesting a the link to register for the virtual meeting.